An unflavoured liquid consisting of protein (milk and soya), fat (rapeseed, sunflower and fish oils), carbohydrate (maltodextrin), vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
- Not for suitable use.
- Not suitable where enteral nutrition is not permitted.
- Not suitable for infants under one year of age.
- Should only be used under medical supervision.
- Not suitable as a sole source of nutrition for children under 5 years of age.
Indications for Use
- Fresubin® energy is intended for the dietary management of patients at risk of malnutrition with high energy requirements and/or fluid restriction.
- Fresubin® energy is prescribable on FP10/GP10 for the following indications: short bowel syndrome, intractable malabsorption, pre-operative preparation of patients who are undernourished, patients with proven inflammatory bowel disease, following total gastrectomy, bowel fistulae, disease related malnutrition.
- All prescriptions must be endorsed ACBS (Advisory Committee on Borderline Substances).
Dosage should be calculated by a clinician or dietitian according to individual requirements. As a guide:
- For complete nutrition:
1500ml Fresubin® energy provides 2250kcal and 84g protein and meets the average adult recommended daily requirements for vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
- In accordance with ACBS guidelines, when prescribed in the community, the maximum dosage should not exceed 1400ml (78.8g protein).
- When commencing tube feeding:
It is recommended that the full dosage of Fresubin Energy is introduced gradually over 2–3 days.
- Store in a cool place, do not store above 25°C.
- Once opened, can be stored for up to 24 hours in a refrigerator.
- EasyBag: 15 months from date of manufacture.